We are all accustomed to the recycle bin on our PC, where any deleted file can be restored at any time. But is there such a possibility on Android? How to recover deleted photos, music, files? Where to find this basket … There are many questions that we will answer in this article once and for all.
- Is there a system recycle bin on Android, like on a PC
- Where are deleted files stored on Android
- How to recover files you’ve deleted
- An application that will put the shopping cart on your smartphone
- Video clip
Is there a system recycle bin on Android, like on a PC
Answer: No. There is no system basket in phones, it is not practical, since the amount of memory on smartphones is much less than on PCs and there is simply no room for the basket. If it were, your device would work very slowly and it would be like a “garbage can” that accumulates all kinds of garbage. If no one has yet cleaned such a basket, the smartphone would have completely refused to work.
Many applications have their own recycle bin, which contains recoverable deleted files. Here are some examples:
- Mail applications Mail.ru, Gmail, Outlook, etc. – have their own basket. To do this, open the mail application you are using and go to the “Trash” section. All deleted emails that can be recovered are located here.
- Trash in the explorer. This section is found in most explorer, as an example: Dropbox, Es File Explorer.
- In built-in galleries with photos / videos. For example, on Xiaomi, in the native gallery there is a folder with a trash can, where you can recover deleted multimedia files for the last 30 days. If more than 30 days have passed since the photo / video was deleted, the files are automatically deleted from the trash.
Where are deleted files stored on Android
After deletion, the deleted file does not disappear anywhere, it remains in its place in the internal storage of the smartphone until new data is written in its place. You may not even see such files in the explorer; often the developers hide them from the eyes of ordinary users.
But there is an exception, on Samsung smartphones you can adjust the visibility of such data and restore photos / videos manually.
- Opening the gallery on a Samsung device
- Click on the “three dots” in the upper corner.
- We open the “Basket” section.
- Select the files you want to recover.
- Click on the recovery icon and wait. All files from the recycle bin will be automatically deleted after 15 days.
How to recover files you’ve deleted
If the methods above did not help, you can use additional software that will pull deleted files from hidden / deep folders in the memory of your device.
There is a nuance, new downloads, dialogues, photographs – they can overwrite deleted files that “lie” deep in the root folders. Therefore, until you have restored the files you need, wait a bit with the active use of your smartphone, so as not to irrevocably lose the necessary data.
FonePaw Android Data Recovery – specializes in recovering deleted photos, videos, audio, WhatsApp, text messages, contacts, call logs and documents on Android phones running OS between Android 2.1 and even Android 12, such as Samsung Galaxy S21 / S20, S10. / S9 / S9 Plus, S8 / S8 Plus, Google Pixel, Xiaomi, Motorola, Huawei, OnePlus and so on. A versatile tool to help you solve your problem.
- We will need to install this program on our PC. It is compatible with almost all OCs.
- First of all, open this utility on your PC.
- We connect the smartphone via USB to the computer.
- You will automatically pop up a window on your smartphone, in which you need to click “Ok”.
- Next, on the smartphone, select the types of files that we will recover. You can click “Select All”.
- For the utility to start searching for deleted files, it needs to be granted access to the space. For this, a request will be automatically made to download the FonePaw application. Follow the further instructions to enable USB installation and install the application.
- When the installation is complete, click “Allow”. This will start the process of searching for deleted files.
- The first step will be a standard scan. You will see thumbnails of the deleted files that the application was able to pull out. After such a scan, you can launch the global one so that the application will perform a deep search for files.
- At the end of the scan, you will see a list of files. Check the box next to the files you want to “revive” and click on the “Restore” button.
- All the files that you “revived” again will be moved to your PC, from there you can return them back to your smartphone.
If the application above did not suit you, we present to your attention MiniTool Mobile Recovery. This utility will help you recover messages, contacts, call history, videos, WatsApp photos, documents, etc.
The application works with almost all brands of smartphones. The application has a limitation, it allows you to recover 10 files of the same type for free every time. To work, you need to install the utility on a PC, it works with the Windows 7/8/10 version.
MiniTool Mobile allows you to recover data from internal memory and SD card.
- When you have deleted the files you need and are trying to recover them, do not use your phone for correspondence, downloading applications, etc., perform only targeted actions for recovery, otherwise the deleted data will be impossible to recover, they will be overwritten with other information.
- Your smartphone must have ROOT rightsotherwise the application will not be able to fully function.
- When working with this application, close all other utilities so that the search for deleted data and recovery are successful.
Recovery steps for internal storage:
- We connect the smartphone via USB to the PC.
- We open the program on the computer and select the recovery path. There are 2 modes “Recover from SD card” and “Recover from internal memory”.
- Next, you will be prompted to identify your smartphone. To do this, turn on “USB Debugging”. You can choose your version of Android in this window and the program will show you how to set up debugging.
- For example, if you are using Android 5.2, you must tap For Android 4.2 to 5.2. Then this software will show you four steps: ① Go to Settings> About Phone ② Tap the build number 7 times in quick succession> Back ③ Developer Options ④ Turn on Developer Options> USB Debugging. Please do as the steps tell you.
- Next, we enable USB debugging from our PC. To do this, just put a tick next to the “Always allow from this computer” section. Next, click “Ok”.
- In a new window, the utility will show the types of files that can be recovered. To start scanning, you need to select a mode. There are two modes:
- Fast scanning. Text files, contacts, messages and WhatsApp attachments are scanned. Additionally, you can uncheck the checkboxes from the type of documents that do not need to be searched in this mode.
- Advanced scanning. Scans all supported file types, without the possibility of adjusting the scan list. This mode lasts longer, but the result will be larger and in this mode you will most likely find a lost file.
- Click “Next”, after selecting the scan mode.
- The search results will appear in the next window. In the left window there will be file types, by selecting which, only deleted data of this type will be shown. So you can quickly see the music / video / contacts that have been deleted from the device separately. When we have chosen the file type, we simply mark the data that we want to return to the device and confirm our action with a button.
- The next window will show in which section on your PC the information will be restored. You can choose the storage path yourself by clicking on the “Browse” button.
Recovery steps for SD card:
Likewise, after deleting files from the card, we try not to use it again until the information is restored.
- We take out the SD card from the smartphone and insert it into the SD card reader. We insert the SD-drives reader into the PC.
- Open MiniTool Mobile on PC. In the window that appears, select “Recover from SD card module”.
- We select our map in a new window.
- Next, the scanning process starts, upon completion of which, a window pops up with the type of files and their contents.
- We select the files that need to be restored, specify the path for saving and that’s it.
An application that will put the shopping cart on your smartphone
Although there is no system basket in smartphones, we can install it ourselves using a third-party application Dumpster.
Now when you delete Photos, Videos, Documents, APKs, VCF Cards and HTML Pages – will be automatically placed in the Trash.
Through this utility, you can share deleted data, recover it or permanently delete it. In addition, you can recover deleted files here.
User-friendly interface that does not require special attention. But, in the application there are restrictions that are removed for a fee.